Friday, March 16, 2012

Puppy Journals: Day huh?


Some of you have been wondering where my updates have been, and how things have been progressing with Omar. So here's the deal with the dog: it's all sort of normal now. He gets up when we get up, sleeps on the couch with us while we watch TV, enjoys a couple of good long walks every day. We just have this dog now. He's part of the family. Our routines have meshed together to form a new routine. He still has his accidents, but the one today broke a six-day streak. He still drops energy bombs on us once or twice a day by literally bouncing off one end of the couch into another, or one wall of the apartment into another, but we indulge him, and laugh, and then he sleeps. And farts. That hasn't changed.

We're part of the neighborhood now, us and Omar. I know the dog walkers, and the other Frenchie owners, and these two awesome English bulldogs named Grover and Bacon. Some of Grover's dried drool is on the knee of my jeans as I write this. Omar knows the hostess of the restaurant at the corner, and people walk by and say "oh, I saw his picture." Michael Emerson smiled at him the other day. I've become delusional enough to think that Omar will be the final nudge that pushes me into the domain of real, working actors. The scenario that plays out most often in my head involves standing on a corner while Omar plays with another Frenchie, chatting with the owner. It casually comes up that I'm an actor, and wouldn't you know it, the other owner is an agent/producer/casting director/et al. I will be legally bound to give 10% of my earnings to Omar. We should set up a college fund.

There are still quizzical moments. Why doesn't he eat as voraciously as he used to? Why, when he does decide to eat, does he take one piece of food and sprint to his bed to eat it, then run back and repeat the process? And oh god, if his farts still smell like this on a no-grain food, is there any solution? Note: google "fartectomy" after this and see what I find.

Colin Fisher is many things to many people, but mostly he's an actor and writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment